New Farm's origins begin with the convict days of Brisbane colony. The area was used, some 400 acres to cultivate maize, potatoes, pumpkins and the like. The area became known as the new farm and ultimately New Farm. The first buildings appeared in 1847. In 1923, when a house was brought to be used as a Mass centre, New Farm began to be developed as a part of the Valley parish. Holy Spirit Church was opened on June 1st 1930.
Holy Spirit School, founded by the Sisters of Mercy with Sister Mary Benigna in charge, assisted by Sister Mary Paul and Sister Philomene, opened on Monday July 7th 1930. The school opened with seventy-nine students. It had classes for infants, junior and senior classes. The existing Mass centre was used for school until 1937.
A new school building was erected in 1937 to replace the old building. This building is still standing and is the main section we use for classes today. It was blessed and opened by Archbishop Duhig. It cost four thousand pounds, paid for by the generosity of the parish and anonymous donors.
Extensions were made to the building in 1959, which is the ground level block you can see from Villiers Street. Holy Spirit Hall was opened in 1966 as a Memorial Hall. The Resource Centre, Resource Centre annex and tuckshop area was opened in November 1984.
The Convent (now school classrooms) was opened in 1970 and until 2002 was home to some religious. In January 2003 the Convent was refurbished as a Preschool / Year 1 facility. In 2004 the school administration area, staffroom and 2 downstairs classrooms were refurbished. In 2006 the remaining upstairs classrooms were refurbished and a Resource Centre was developed downstairs in place of the original classrooms. The Parents & Friends Association completed air-conditioning the school in October 2006. A care program was established under Catholic Social Response and was the first to be attached to a school in Queensland. A demountable building was erected for this purpose.
Further renovations and extensions occurred in 2016 with additional classrooms, staff facilities and student amenities constructed. The Parents and Friends' Association and school community supported the installation of a new playground and library renovation in 2017.
The school motto: “To Know What Is Right" is part of the rich cultural tradition that has been always with the school.